Friday, November 9, 2007

Project 6: Time Capsule

I was really excited when we got this project because I have always been interested in what a time capsule is and what goes in one. We have broken down this project into 4 phases so we can keep to a schedule and get this done by December 3.

Phase 1: Conception
For the beginning of our time capsule project we had to create a parti, an ideation and a statement of understanding and intention. For my parti I tried to answer the following questions in order to come closer to finding a better understanding what a time capsule truly is.
  • What is the capsule going to be shaped like?
  • What will go in the time capsule?
  • Where will it be located inside of the studio building?
Phase 2: Research
I was in Group 3 for the research part of the project and we were responsible for interviewing the faculty. Lindsey and I chose to interview John Rife, Stoel and Robert Charest, to find their views on the department and design as a whole.

Phase 3: Synthesis
Friday 11/9
Today we were asked to present the sketch models of our ideas and a refined parti with defined parameters, concept and goals. I made 5 different models that each represent time, and pictured below are my time capsule ideas.
















I took some pictures of my designs to show my progress from my sketches on my parti to my final products.


Monday 11/12
Below are my revised models I made over the weekend, the first one is still the cluster of balls but I added paper mache to it to give it the feeling of being like a pinata. The second one is where I combined my hour glass model and my clusters to make a tower looking object that houses the spheres with the artifacts inside. Also pictured are my shaded sketches of my models for drawing class.

















Wednesday 11/14
Today in class we made a detailed charette of our final model. My model showed how the spheres is connected with toothpicks, basically the simple design I drew earlier on trace paper. I cut out the inside to show how the spheres will connect.



Friday 11/17
Today we turned in our two detailed models that show specific parts of our project and how they are connected. While doing my first model, which shows how the two spheres are connected with two nails, I realized that I wanted to do more of a free standing model for Monday that incorporated the bowl like features that will hold little spheres. The spheres would be something that we could all contribute to, rolled up journal entries where we write to ourselves in the future about things that are happening to us this year.


Monday 11/19
Over the weekend I was able to design a new time capsule idea that incorporated my cluster of spheres and a couple of new ideas. The shape of the spheres basically resembles how we come into the IARC program as first year students and learn to branch out from one another and find out who we really are.



Tuesday 11/20
Today I turned in my Time Capsule Process Zine which included my 15 thumbnail sketches and my prototype layout of one of my thumbnail ideas.

















Phase 4: Design
Due on November 30, 2007 is our full-scale prototype and a composite drawing of our final time capsule.





1 comment:

jake tucci said...

Nice Zine. It has a clean and attractive layout.

Jake.